Security Dealer & Integrator

AUG 2016

Find news and information for the executive corporate security director, CSO, facility manager and assets protection manager on issues of policy, products, incidents, risk management, threat assessments and preparedness.

Issue link: http://sdi.epubxp.com/i/714546

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 22 of 71

captures the variances in time of what is changing. ese chip sets, composed of many cores working in parallel, are optimized for graphics processing and capable of self-learning. is is the exciting part and the essence of what is to come. As the authors of the article state, "To fully unlock the potential of eyelike vision sensors, you need to abandon the whole notion of a video frame…at can be a little hard to get your head around, but as soon as you do that, you become liberated, and the subsequent processing you can do to the data can resolve things that you would otherwise easily miss." The Impact on Video Surveillance In the world of video surveillance, this technology can make facial and object recognition become much more effec- tive — akin to the brain thinking "I think I've seen that before." Behavioral analytics and analysis get better because the data they mine is richer and more relevant. Correlation of certain actions may lead to the prediction of certain types of events, such as those which cause mass casualties. Correlation of images from multiple cameras would enable better people and object track- ing, along the lines of Qognify's Suspect Search, across a larger set of devices and improved accuracy. How close are we to real-life applica- tions on this technology? Closer than you think. In addition to NVIDIA's work, Google, IBM, Qualcomm and others have active chip developments in this area. By 2018, Qualcomm plans to extend neuromorphic capabilities of its "Zeroth" platform for cognitive com- puting and machine learning to appli- cations such as wearables and drones, according to IEEE Times. Recent research by Markets and Markets projects that the global neu- romorphic chip market is expected to grow at more than 26 percent annu- ally to reach nearly $5 billion by the year 2022. Image recognition appli- cations are projected to be nearly 60 percent of that total. Consumer applications will be the early drivers of the technology, fol- lowed by a progression into big data, commercial and industrial applications — hasn't that been the case for most impactful technologies used in video surveillance? Ten years from now, expect video surveillance products to look and perform a lot differently. ■ » Ray Coulombe is Founder and Managing Director of SecuritySpecifiers and RepsForSecurity.com. Reach him at ray@SecuritySpecifiers.com, through LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/in/ raycoulombe, or on Twitter, @RayCoulombe. August 2016 www.SecurityInfoWatch.com / Security Dealer & Integrator 21 Request information: www.SecurityInfoWatch.com/10486354

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Security Dealer & Integrator - AUG 2016